Android: Menu → Download maps
iOS: Menu → Maps & Resources
There are several map types available to download and manage:
- Standard - a fully packaged OsmAnd map based on OpenStreetMap source, they provide map, routing, address, POI, public transport information, .
- Roads-only (Android) - a smaller by size map comparing to Standard due to removed map details such as buildings & points on the map.
- Coutour lines - a map that contains the elevation contour lines.
- Hillshades - a raster map with hillshade information.
- Slopes - a raster map with slopes information.
- Online and cached tile maps - a custom map source for online maps, could be installed as 3rd party map or as OsmAnd Tiles.
- Wikipedia - a vector map that provides Geo located Articles as POIs from Wikipedia.
- Travel guides / Wikivoyage - a vector map that has a collection of Articles (Text as HTML + GPX file) for example Wikivoyage.
- Nautical maps - a vector map that provide sea depth elevation as points or as lines.
- Voice packages - a voice package that provides sounds and configuration how to guide you in the navigation mode.
- Map fonts (Android) - additional fonts files used to render text on the map.
- Altitude correction (Android) - a special map file that provides correction for geoid on Android devices (optional).
- Other maps - maps that couldn't be attached to current maps hierarchy, typically represents deprecated and not supported maps or maps that will be available next release.
Note: For regions like Germany consisted of many maps, you can use bulk map downloads, it is depicted as double download arrows next to the map type.
Download maps screen allows you to download maps from OsmAnd servers, you will need an active internet connection to do that.
Android: Menu → Download maps → All Downloads
iOS: Menu → Maps & Resources
- Refresh ⟳ - redownloads list of available maps from OsmAnd Server.
- Search - allows you to search maps by Country, Province or by a large City.
- Toolbar indicates how much memory is available to download and how much maps is available to download for free.
Hint: a small Worldwide map is builtin inside OsmAnd, you don't need to download a large Worldwide map if you plan to have detailed maps for region. In case you want to have map that covers full planet including major cities, roads & rivers, you can download Detailed worldwide map.
Local maps represents all downloaded maps on device grouped by Types
Android: Menu → Download maps → Local
iOS: Menu → Maps & Resources → Local
- ⟳ button - scans & refreshes list of available maps on storage.
- Delete button - Multiselection to delete maps.
- ⁝ - Deactivate or Activate - multiselection to deactivate and activate maps.
Each map displays its name, size, creation date within a certain category and highligted by a color.
- Green - map is up to date.
- Orange - there is an update available for the map.
- Grey / Italic - map is deactivated
For each map specific actions are available by clicking 3 dots or long tap on the row.
- Rename - changes name of the file and map
- Update - updates map to the latest available version
- Delete - deletes map
- Edit (Online maps) - edits online map configuration
- Clear all tiles cache (Online maps) - clear all the tiles cached by online map.
It's possible to deactivate vector maps, so they will be present on the device but will not be used for map display, search and routing. It's optimal to have large storage of maps and use them when they are needed without slowing down OsmAnd functionality.
Local action available for the map: Activate / Deactivate.
Every month you will be able to update OsmAnd Maps on Updates screen. Here it's possible to update all maps with one click. Standard and road-only maps are avalaible every month typically with 2 weeks delay. In case you would like to get access to Hourly updates, please check OsmAnd Live.
Android: Menu → Download maps → Updates
iOS: Menu → Maps & Resources → Updates
OsmAnd Live is a special (available by subscription) feature that provides additional small map updates on top of the large complete monthly maps. It is roughly estimated that map updates for 1 month takes only 2-4% of complete map size. These updates are generated approximately every 15 minutes on OsmAnd Servers and could be downloaded hourly / daily or weekly. On Android they could be downloaded in the background though it doesn't work correctly on all devices. The app restart always checks if there are pending updates and downloads them.
Each map has independent collection of tiny map updates, please be aware if you have overlapping map regions. In case you want to revert to initial state you can switch off updates and 'Clear cache'.
Android: Menu → Download maps → Updates → Live updates
iOS: Menu → Maps & Resources → OsmAnd Live
Latest OpenStreetMap update availableXX-XX-XXXX XX:XX - represents the latest timestamp of OpenStreetMap changes processed on OsmAnd Servers and available to be downloaded.
Andorra Updated: Today XX:XX - represents the timestamp of the latest changes inside the local. It's always earlier than
Latest OpenStreetMap update available(but not always equal) and represents specific timestamp for
Updated timestampis not changed after
Update nowthen it is the latest timestamp when
Andorraregion was modified and processed on OsmAnd servers.
Andorra Last time checked: Today XX:XX - represents the latest timestamp that local device checked if new updates are available. It's always ahead of updated timestamps and displays both successful and unsuccessful attempts to download maps.
OsmAnd Live restrictions.
- Address changes on the map & in the search are not supported yet. Address information could be updated with regular monthly updates.
- Updated roads don't have altitude information thus the slope graphics could be affected.
- Modified and deleted route relations are not handled correctly which could lead to display of no longer existing public transport lanes and hiking routes.