OsmAnd has many powerful features to display various routes on the map. Routes could be built as part of Navigation, created via Plan Route, imported as GPX tracks, recorded via Trip Recording plugin or browsed and selected from OpenStreetMap data.
Type of routes on the map
OsmAnd can display several different type of routes:
- Tracks (GPX) - recorded or planned trip saved in GPX-format. This kind of route could be imported from the external source, created in the application or recorded by user. GPX could contain one of 3 different types of data or all of them:
- Track as a line - file has
<trkpt>points array, each point has location and optionally time, speed, altitude and other attributes. These tracks are displayed on the map as solid lines.
- Track as a route - file has
<rtept>points array, each point described as an intermediate point of the route. It depends on how points within a route should be connected either as small route segments or via straight line. These tracks are displayed on the map as dashed lines.
- Waypoints - file has
<wpt>points with attributes. Waypoints are displayed as circular points on the map. You could click on them to get additional information.
- Track as a line - file has
- Navigation Route - a route line displayed during navigation. By default this is a solid transparent blue line, though default appearance depends on vector map style, day & night mode. It's also possible to fully customize it on Android.
- Routes and route networks on the map - special objects on the map from OpenStreetMap data and provided with standard vector maps. They typically represent popular local routes and could be displayed in many ways (shields, color, thickness, pattern). To use these types of routes you will need to enable them on the map.
Read more about GPX Tracks.
Display via Configure map menuAndroid Menu → Configure map → Tracks → … → Choosing tracks for display from the list and setting track appearance.
iOS Menu → Configure map → Tracks → Choosing tracks for displayed from the list.
Display via My Places menu
Android Menu → My Places → Tracks → ⋮ → Show on map or "Map" button for choosing multiple tracks.
iOS Menu → My Places → Tracks → › → Show on map or "Layer" button for choosing multiple tracks.
In OsmAnd you can change the color, the thickness of the track, display arrows and icons of the starting and ending points.
|Parameter and Description|
|Split interval - splits track into intervals by Distance or Time and displays shields on the map.|
|Direction arrows - adds direction info on the track.|
|Show start and finish icons - shows or hides start/finish icons of the track segments.|
|Color - changes the color (solid or gradient) of the track using internal data: Solid Color, Height, Speed, Slope (PRO feature), Smoothness (OsmAnd plan route), Surface (OsmAnd plan route). If necessary data is not available grey color is displayed.|
|Select width - changes the thickness for the track between Thin, Medium, Bold, Custom.|
Analyze Track on Map (Android)
This option allows you to interactively review track information using graphs and the map. To get access to this menu shortly tap on the track → Options → Analyze on map
- Graph data: Altitude / Slope / Speed (if data is available in the track).
- Graph dimension: Distance / Time.
- Tap/Slide: tap to Graph for showing info about track point and moving along Graph highlights point location on the map and displays info about point on the bar.
- Scale: scale Graph by two fingers gesture.
- Follow My location: click button My Location, so map view and graph is synchronized with your location. In that case graph scale will stay constant and bar information will be fixed to 1/4 from the left. As you move, graph will slide from left to right displaying information Ahead of your Track. This functionality is useful for hiking & cycling during navigation, though this screen doesn't have other widgets displayed.
Navigation route is a solid line prepared by Route Preparation process. It is displayed during Navigation or during Route preparation step.
Routes on the map
OsmAnd can highlight routes present on OpenStreetMap. They are not selectable but with the right configuration of visible set of routes, it's possible to follow the route by color & shields, you can create a Track on top of the routes using Plan Route functionality.Android Menu → Configure map → Map rendering → Routes
iOS Menu → Configure map → Map style → Routes
Read more about Map Routes at Vector map style.